When we over think; it is when we think too much, instead of acting on things. It is when we analyse, comment and repeat the same thoughts over and over again instead of acting.
Over thinking happens when something bad happens, we think about the worst scenarios, with thoughts like “what if?” or “why?”; when we slip now and then into negative thinking patterns, and when we worry about past mistakes or current problems and issues, and how they might lead to negative outcomes.
This habit prevents us from taking action. It consumes our energy, disables our ability to make decisions, and puts us on a loop of thinking and thinking over and again.
Here are 10 Bible verses for when you’re over thinking, to help you get back to a more peaceful, faithful place.
1. “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” – Romans 8:38-39
2. “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” – Exodus 14:14
3. “Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your hearts on things above, not on earthly things.” – Colossians 3:1-2
4. “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.” – Galatians 1:10
5. “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us…” – Hebrews 12:1
6. “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ.” – 2 Corinthians 10:5
7. “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” – Matthew 6:33-34
8. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid: do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9
9. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7
10. “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” – Proverbs 4:23
When we don’t over think, we become more efficient, more peaceful and more happy.